Rockledge, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Mental Health Consent for Minor Child

Florida. Parenting plan states mental health must be mutually agreed. Agreement for provider was reached. Child has been actively going to sessions for several months. Non Custodial parent now states they no longer consent to child seeing provider and is demanding the primary parent to change providers. Primary parent does not wish to change providers.

Is primary parent required to cease sessions? Is primary parent required to obtain new provider?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The current law is that either parent my consent to mental health counseling for child. If child is already in counseling by agreement then the parent that wants a change must go to court if no agreement can be reached. Otherwise child continues with current provider. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.