Mesa, AZ asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Arizona

Q: I askea neighbor to tow a vehicle for me we agreed on $100 then he asked for a extra $40 for egas I paid that he towed

I was to pay the $100 the next day instead of collecting the money the next day he towed the vehicle without contacting me has since demanded over three times the original payment refuses to let me get personal items from vehicle (tools) wants me to pay him on cash card first before he tells me anything or let's me see vehicle will not let me see the vehicle or even return my calls when I called the police they said that because I hadn't put the vehicle in my name yet I only had possession 1day there is nothing I can do the title holder gave me the vehicle he has died the person that towed the vehicle knew this before they towed the vehicle in my opinion they stole my vehicle can I sue and make them return the truck the title was in glove box I trusted the person they knew the title was in the glove box since then we have agreed on three different amounts but he refuses to take the money he wants the truck I think he has all along that has been the whole prob lol em all along

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If your neighbor towed your vehicle and is now refusing to return it or let you retrieve your personal items, you have legal rights to consider. First, document all agreements, payments made, and any communication between you and your neighbor.

If the vehicle was given to you and you possess the title, that supports your ownership claim. You may file a claim in small claims court for the return of the vehicle or the value thereof, and for the personal items inside. It's important to gather evidence such as a bill of sale, the title, and any witness statements regarding the transfer of the vehicle to you.

Communicate with the neighbor in writing, if possible, to have a record of all interactions.

Before proceeding with legal action, it may be beneficial to send a formal demand letter, possibly with the help of a lawyer, outlining your position and the consequences of not complying. Remember that each state has specific laws regarding the process of transferring vehicle ownership, which should be followed to establish your legal rights formally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.