Belleville, MI asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Michigan

Q: What can I do about Dealership fraud

I purchased a used car for a small used was listed as a2010 with 145k miles. I purchased and didn't read the paper work. It's really a 2007 with 195k miles. They changed the mileage babe. He only refunded me $400. What should I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You may sue the dealership in small claims court for fraud. In Michigan, small claims court can hear cases involving up to $6,500.

In your complaint, you must allege that the dealership defrauded you by selling you a car with a different mileage than the one listed on the odometer. You will also need to state the damages you seek, such as the difference in value between the car you purchased and the car you would have purchased if you had known the actual mileage.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions and responses, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.