Chandler, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: What should I do if I cant seem to get my attorney to contact me so that I can find out what's going on with my case.

I'm 3 days from my IPTC and despite the judges order that my attorney and I meet no later than 3 weeks after my last court date to discuss the case, I still cannot get my attorney to talk to me.what should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brad Rideout
Brad Rideout
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Keep on trying to contact your attorney, try by phone and email. To put your mind at ease, your IPTC is an informal non-appearance hearing so no real stress that your attorney not contacting you, for now, for this hearing your attorney not contacting you isn't going to effect the outcome of your case. I am assuming you have a public appointed attorney? They may be in trial or out of the office. Public appointed attorneys are skilled and often know how to navigate the court system better than anyone but often they are underpaid and over worked. Sometimes attorneys delay in responding to you when they are close to getting some new information or new plea and they are waiting to tell you the update all at once.

Things NOT to do: Don't call or write the prosecutor's office and please don't write or call the court. See the following blog post cautioning you about this behavior:

You can always contact my firm for a free consultation if you are stressed and want to discuss your case with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.