Asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Hi, a friend was driving a car that is licensed in my name and he got into a police chase that got called off a few mins

Hi, a friend was driving a car that is licensed in my name and he got into a police chase that got called off a few mins later so he ended up getting away etc ... He left the car out of town. Few days later I had a letter from police saying car was in the impound and the drivers section on the form wasn't filled out. Cops come to my house last night looking for me (as I own the car). Thing is my friend has a criminal record and it use to be his car so they probably know it was him driving but because I'm the owner they have come to me. This happens three weeks ago. Should I go to the police and see what they want to ask me? Or get a lawyer? Coz I don't want to say it was him. Can I say I don't recall who used my car that day?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear. A lawyer can carefully tell your side of the story.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.