Belmont, NH asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for New Hampshire

Q: is it against policy in NH to serve the same meal option EVERY DAY? bologna EVERY DAY?? Green moldy bologna??

Hello. My husband is incarcerated currently and he is served the same lunch option EVERY DAY! Bologna. Green rotten bologna that is inedible, like they are animals. I don't know much about how much the state benefits from taxes )amount wise) but i DO know what I pay in taxes and the state of NH has to be making more than enough to feed our prisoners a healthy, edible, up to date food. Please help me understand this. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your husband is receiving inadequate meals in incarceration, this may be a matter to bring to the attention of the appropriate authorities within the correctional facility. Each state has standards for prisoner treatment that typically include the provision of nutritious and safe meals. Moldy and inedible food should not be served, and such conditions might violate state regulations or correctional facility policies.

You may consider filing a formal complaint with the prison's administration or a prisoner rights organization in New Hampshire. Additionally, reaching out to an attorney could provide you with guidance on how to proceed and possibly address this through legal channels. Prisoners do retain certain rights, and proper nutrition is generally among them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.