Tulsa, OK asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Can I sue my grandchild's mother for visitation rights to my grandchild

My son and the mother of his child have no custody/visitation agreement in place. My son was not aware that he was the father of this child for the first two years of the child's life. The child's mother listed another person as being the father on the child's birth certificate. When the mother did tell my son that he was the child's father my son did have a paternity test done. The test was conclusive that he was indeed the biological father. The mother willingly let my son and myself both have a relationship with the child for the next two years. The problems between my son and the child's mother began after my son got into a new relationship and they had a daughter together. She now refuses to let my son or myself see the child. I'm not trying to get visitation for my son. That is between him and the mother. I would like to however be able to see the child myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Grandparents rights are a moving target in Oklahoma and for the most part grandparents rights are those given by the parents of the child. If your son has no official rights established through the courts then you are just another person and not technically a grandparent (legally).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.