Panama City Beach, FL asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii

Q: Does a dismissed citation in Hawaii remain on my record?

I was given a citation for drinking on the beach in Hawaii. I live in North Carolina and was told to call to schedule a virtual court appearance. When I called, I was informed that the case was not being pursued by the prosecutor so it is dismissed. I asked if this meant it would not appear on my record and was told that it still remains and I would need to request for it to be expunged. Seems like if they never pursued the case, it should not appear on my record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Yes, a dismissed citation in Hawaii can remain on your record. In Hawaii, dismissed citations are not automatically expunged from your record. If you want to have a dismissed citation expunged, you must file a petition with the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.