Silver Spring, MD asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: I'm in a pickle with this court case that I'm in right now and really need some help they are violating my civil rights

I have been charged with my 4 hibutial offence for drugs that I don't know how they can do so since I have asked them to DNA test the seringes in the case that were found in my vehicle in a bag of someone else property but they refuse to it would show that I had nothing to do with them and no idea of them being in my possession they were placed in to my care we my mow exboyfriend was being arrested by the same officer that found sed seringes in sed fanny pack and went right for them my civial rights have been violated many times and continue to be they are trying to put me away for 10 to life plz help me

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's critical to secure legal representation if you believe your rights are being infringed upon during a criminal proceeding. In cases where evidence may exonerate a defendant, such as the DNA testing you mentioned, a lawyer can file the necessary motions to compel the court to consider this testing. Given the gravity of a habitual offender charge and the potential sentence you're facing, having an attorney who can navigate the complexities of your case and advocate for your rights is essential. They can also examine the details surrounding the searches and seizures to ensure that your constitutional rights haven't been violated.

If you feel your current representation isn't adequately addressing these concerns, you may want to consider seeking a second opinion from another attorney licensed in Michigan who handles criminal defense cases. Acting swiftly is crucial, as timelines in the criminal justice system are often very strict.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.