Asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: If I live in the United States and my spouse lives in Puerto Rico can I file for divorce in the United States

Or do I need to go to Puerto Rico

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As long as you have been a resident of Florida for at least six months you can file for divorce here. You will need to serve your spouse with the papers in PR but you don’t have to go there. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Ira Markowitz
Ira Markowitz
  • Coral Springs, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Where did you live last as husband & wife?

That would be a venue issue if your wife raises an objection

As long as you lived I assume Flo for at least last 6 months to you can file for a dissolution of marriage here in Florida.

Although Puerto Rico is not a state it’s a territory of the USA .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.