Queens, NY asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania

Q: If I'm being sued for,more than the maximum amount that a court of common pleas can give what happens?

I'm being sued in Pennsylvania for 16000 dollars and I read that the maximum amount you can sue for in the court of common pleas is 12000

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Edward Mueller
Daniel Edward Mueller
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You may be thinking of the Magisterial or Municipal courts. The jurisdictional limit in the Magistrates and Municipal Courts (small claims divisions) in Pennsylvania is $12,000, including attorney's fees. (It does not include post-filing interest and court costs.) If the case is over $12,000, the plaintiff can waive some of the damages to keep it under the $12,000 limit. Otherwise, the judge may dismiss the case for lack of jurisdiction.

There is no upper jurisdictional limit in the Court of Common Pleas. However, cases under $50,000 filed in Common Pleas court will typically be referred to mandatory arbitration. Either party can appeal the arbitrator's award to the Common Pleas Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.