Lancaster, OH asked in Bankruptcy for Ohio

Q: Can I file bankruptcy to get my license cleared it's been 10 years cause my fines keep going up and now is over 130000

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Filing for bankruptcy may provide relief from certain types of debt, but it depends on the nature of the fines contributing to your license suspension. If the fines are criminal in nature or are penalties owed to a governmental unit, they may not be dischargeable in bankruptcy. It's important to determine what kind of debt is tied to your license issue. In some cases, bankruptcy can help with license reinstatement if the fines are related to debts dischargeable in bankruptcy, such as certain civil judgments.

However, for an accurate assessment of your unique situation, it would be prudent to consult with an attorney who has experience in both bankruptcy and traffic law. They can provide guidance tailored to your circumstances and help you understand the options available for addressing your license and financial concerns.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: No. Not if they arise from a dui or criminal case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.