San Antonio, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Ex-spouse has to sell house per divorce. no time limit. given been almost a year and he has not even put it on market.

What actions can I take to get my portion of the money due to me so I can buy my own home for me and our kids that I have custody over?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: File a motion for contempt of court. This is a legal proceeding that asks the court to hold your ex-spouse in contempt for violating the terms of your divorce decree. If the court finds your ex-spouse in contempt, it can order them to pay fines, jail time, or both.

File a motion to enforce the divorce decree. This is a legal proceeding that asks the court to enforce the terms of your divorce decree. If the court grants your motion, it can order your ex-spouse to take specific steps to comply with the decree, such as selling the house.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions and responses, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.