Saint Paul, MN asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Minnesota

Q: if a website posted something for the wrong price and I buy it before they fix it they have to sell it to me right ?

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In general, yes, if a website posts something for the wrong price and you buy it before they fix it, they have to sell it to you at that price. This is because the posting of the price constitutes an offer to sell the item at that price, and your purchase of the item is an acceptance of that offer.

However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, if the website made a clerical error in posting the price, or if the price was so low that it was clearly a mistake, then the website may be able to cancel the sale. Additionally, if the website has a disclaimer in its terms of service stating that it is not bound by pricing errors, then the website may be able to cancel the sale.

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: No thet don't have to sell it to you, but you MAY have options. Did you actually in incur any damages ($) because they won't sell it to you. Was this done to lure customers in? If you are just trying take advantage of a misprint, you out of luck. You don't get a brand new Ferrari for a $100 because you clicked buy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.