Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Intellectual Property for Minnesota on
Q: I brought my own CAD software and computer to use at work after signing an NDA with a new employer. Is the NDA valid?

More specifically the CAD software is pirated and unlicensed and has been used in engineering and designing products for a manufacturing business.

Andrew Zulieve Esq
Andrew Zulieve Esq answered on Jan 31, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Juvenile Law for Minnesota on
Q: In Minnesota are there regulations regarding minors and being on a board for a nonprofit organization?
Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Jan 18, 2018

Look at section 317A.205, which currently provides: "The qualifications and method of election or appointment of directors may be imposed by or in the manner provided in the articles or bylaws, provided that directors must be natural persons and a majority of the directors must be adults." It is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: If we are trying to serve a CEO of a busines can we serve him at his home and not the business?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Nov 2, 2017

Unfortunately, this question is too vague and too specific to answer here.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is it legal to use a different name for a shop name online, instead of the registered name I have for my business?

Some online print on demand websites, like zazzle, allows designers to open different shops with different names for the shops. However I have a registered business name under the state of MN. Do I have to use that registered name for the shop name or can I use a different name, that I may like... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 11, 2017

To be safe, consider filing a certificate of assumed name.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright and Trademark for Minnesota on
Q: When the Justia site says something has a registered "wordmark" do you mean the LOGO or the company name in body copy?

I am a proofreader and I am trying to determine if a trade name can appear in body copy/regular font with a circle-R. My understanding is that this is a "wordmark"? And that this is a different registration than the trademark within a LOGO.

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler answered on Sep 4, 2017

If a mark is designated as a "registered" mark, that means it is registered in the USA with the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) for goods (a "trademark") or for services (a "service mark"). Marks can take different forms, such as simply words; words using special layout, font or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is it ilegal to open a bar that is from a TV show idea not the actual show
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Aug 12, 2017

This question is too vague to provide a thoughtful response. The answer would depend on whether you are infringing on intellectual property.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is it legal to sell or resell consumer electronics over the phone and online via recurring payments?

As an LLC with 2 employees, if I were to call customers--with respect to the dNC list-- and have a website to sell or resell consumer electronics at a low initial investment but higher profit margin via recurring payments over 6-15 months like a laptop or tablet for example charging the consumer 12... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 25, 2017

Although you would be wading into a grey area, I would state that there are certainly ways for the original manufacturers to sue you in this scenario. I suggest becoming an authorized retailer/reseller rather than attempt to game the system. I would also add that becoming an authorized reseller... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Business Law and Internet Law for Minnesota on
Q: I joined an online course to create 'lead generation' web pages. The idea is to rent the webpage to local companies.

I have heard that if I create a web page for a licensed business, say an auto repair business or a limo service I must either have a license for that industry OR I must have a disclaimer saying "This is a third party webpage" otherwise I can get fined by some federal agency. Is this true or can I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 26, 2016

I'm unaware of any federal rule that says you, the creator has to do something. Many web services work off of templates. However you could have liability if you are viewed as enabling a business that is fraudulent. You may want to learn the business and reframe it to avoid issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Education Law and Consumer Law for Minnesota on
Q: Myself and 28 other previous Le Cordon Bleu students were misled and need legal advice and representation. Who can help

Myself and 28 other previous le cordon bleu students were misled through sales tactics to lure us into high student loan debt with promise of earning salaries between $40,00 to $80,000 per year once we graduated. Upon graduation, we unsuccessfully applied for many kitchen manager positions. I for... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 31, 2016

Attorneys cannot solicit business on the internet under the ethical rules that all attorneys must follow. However, you can contact any attorney you would like to work with via telephone or email. I suggest you contact an attorney immediately for a free consultation and to investigate this case... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: is a former partner in a corporation liable in a lawsuit brought after they have left the partnership?
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 21, 2016

Unfortunately, this question is too broad to answer and the correct answer is highly dependent on the facts of your particular case.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: What can I do if a company has closed their doors and owes me money?
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Jan 27, 2013

Depending on the amount that is owed to you, it may be appropriate to contact an attorney. You use the word "company." Was it a sole proprietorship? If it was, the owner would still owe you the money. If it was a corporation or an LLC, it is possible that the company is still in existence even... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Q: Our bank insisted on selling our co for us and things went south, what should we do?

After insisting on selling our company the bank made us sign a voluntart surrender of our assets and failed to do the proper paperwork. They allowed the future buyer to come inside our company and use our equipment, many items disappeared over time. After taking what they wanted they told the... Read more »

Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr answered on Dec 18, 2010

I apologize, but it is impossible to answer this question without further information. You state that the bank "insisted" that you sell, but "made" you sign a voluntary surrender. You should properly defend yourself, and probably file counter claims against the bank. Feel free to call me for a free... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.