Minnesota Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: In Minnesota are there regulations regarding minors and being on a board for a nonprofit organization?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Business Law and Juvenile Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jan 18, 2018
Joseph A. Gangi's answer
Look at section 317A.205, which currently provides: "The qualifications and method of election or appointment of directors may be imposed by or in the manner provided in the articles or bylaws, provided that directors must be natural persons and a majority of the directors must be adults." It is always good to assess the "why" and consider alternatives, such as a youth advisory board, as being a director carries a number of important responsibilities and youth already have other legal...

Q: Can my boss ask for validation from a family member about whether or not I have a chronic illness?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Nov 22, 2017
Salim U. Shaikh's answer
In short, resigning from job would amount to over-reaction. As you may react that fearlessly then the best is if you proffer to sue your employer on disclosure of your illness not meant to be divulged to your co-workers or relatives. However, it would be questionable whether your cousins would serve as a sound witness or backout when required?

Better you immediately consult a couple of Attorney(ies) having expertise in Employment matter for quick action.

Q: If we are trying to serve a CEO of a busines can we serve him at his home and not the business?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Nov 2, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
Unfortunately, this question is too vague and too specific to answer here.

Q: Is it legal to use a different name for a shop name online, instead of the registered name I have for my business?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Sep 11, 2017
Joseph A. Gangi's answer
To be safe, consider filing a certificate of assumed name.

Q: When the Justia site says something has a registered "wordmark" do you mean the LOGO or the company name in body copy?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Copyright and Trademark for Minnesota on
Answered on Sep 4, 2017
Barbara Berschler's answer
If a mark is designated as a "registered" mark, that means it is registered in the USA with the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) for goods (a "trademark") or for services (a "service mark"). Marks can take different forms, such as simply words; words using special layout, font or color; a design; a design with words, etc. For example, if you see Nike's swooch by itself, that design is a registered mark for the kinds of goods and services for which Nike registered it. Nike...

Q: Is it ilegal to open a bar that is from a TV show idea not the actual show

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Aug 12, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
This question is too vague to provide a thoughtful response. The answer would depend on whether you are infringing on intellectual property.

Q: Is it legal to sell or resell consumer electronics over the phone and online via recurring payments?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jan 25, 2017
Lucas Wynne's answer
Although you would be wading into a grey area, I would state that there are certainly ways for the original manufacturers to sue you in this scenario. I suggest becoming an authorized retailer/reseller rather than attempt to game the system. I would also add that becoming an authorized reseller would greatly increase your profit margin.

Q: I joined an online course to create 'lead generation' web pages. The idea is to rent the webpage to local companies.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Business Law and Internet Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Oct 26, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
I'm unaware of any federal rule that says you, the creator has to do something. Many web services work off of templates. However you could have liability if you are viewed as enabling a business that is fraudulent. You may want to learn the business and reframe it to avoid issues.

Q: Myself and 28 other previous Le Cordon Bleu students were misled and need legal advice and representation. Who can help

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Education Law and Consumer Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 31, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
Attorneys cannot solicit business on the internet under the ethical rules that all attorneys must follow. However, you can contact any attorney you would like to work with via telephone or email. I suggest you contact an attorney immediately for a free consultation and to investigate this case further.

Q: is a former partner in a corporation liable in a lawsuit brought after they have left the partnership?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 21, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
Unfortunately, this question is too broad to answer and the correct answer is highly dependent on the facts of your particular case.

Q: What can I do if a company has closed their doors and owes me money?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jan 27, 2013
Charles Snyderman's answer
Depending on the amount that is owed to you, it may be appropriate to contact an attorney. You use the word "company." Was it a sole proprietorship? If it was, the owner would still owe you the money. If it was a corporation or an LLC, it is possible that the company is still in existence even though this particular location closed its doors. Also, there are times when the owners can be held personally liable for the debts of their company. Again, if the amount owed to you justifies the expense...

Q: Our bank insisted on selling our co for us and things went south, what should we do?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Dec 18, 2010
Robert Douglas Kane Jr's answer
I apologize, but it is impossible to answer this question without further information. You state that the bank "insisted" that you sell, but "made" you sign a voluntary surrender. You should properly defend yourself, and probably file counter claims against the bank. Feel free to call me for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.