Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alaska

Q: Is it against the law for a probation officer to force you to work,when you've already payed off everything

All I have left is being on probation time,11 more months.Plus I live off grid on generator & propane and get 30-40 ft and it reaches -40 out.She told me to ride a bike to get a job!! Its not court ordered and my fiancee is providing all financial needs,shelter and food.My fiancee works from 5am till 7:30pm 6 days a week.Im having a hard enough time coming to see her.I have sit there 5hrs at -40 till they open?! I don't have rides,get snowed in,why do i have to have a job when i dont owe anthing.Can I fight her in court for putting my life in danger for forcing me to get a job? It wasn't court ordered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a probationer, you are subject to the conditions set by the court and the probation officer overseeing your case. Generally, probation officers have some discretion in setting conditions that they believe will aid in rehabilitation and ensure compliance with the law.

However, these conditions must be reasonable and related to your rehabilitation. If being employed was not a court-ordered condition of your probation and your basic needs are being met without employment, requiring you to get a job might be seen as unreasonable, especially under harsh living conditions.

If you believe that a probation officer's demands are unreasonable or put your safety at risk, you have the right to challenge these conditions. This usually involves speaking to the probation officer's supervisor or filing a motion in court. In court, a judge would review the conditions and determine if they are appropriate.

It would be advisable to consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and the best approach to address your concerns with the probation conditions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.