Kilgore, TX asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas

Q: Natural gas provider requiring new deposit on existing account for spouse name change due to death.

Same account since 1994. Payments made on time. Simple name change due to husband's passing. They didn't keep records from original installation and now require a $250 deposit to make the change. FTC states this not a new account and I shouldn't have to pay but I can't get the name change without it. We are in East Texas if that helps. What advice can you give me at this point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can probably provide the court order for the name change to the natural gas provider, and it won't charge the deposit.

It likely just needs legal documentation that you are one and the same person.

Some people arbitrarily change their name (sometimes after a divorce or the death of a spouse) without legally changing their name. It is impossible to clearly distinguish those from actual new and different people and from fraudsters attempting to impersonate another person.

You can get certified copies of the court order from the court clerk's office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.