Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law for Nevada

Q: Under NRS 17.130. Can I get interest on funds that were unlawfully seized and just ordered returned

If so, how should I go about that? Should I ask the same judge that ordered the return of funds. Also, can I request fees and costs in this motion as well?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Generally, interest is awarded to compensate the victim of an unlawful seizure for the loss of use of their funds. The amount of interest that is awarded is typically calculated based on the prevailing interest rate during the time that the funds were withheld.

our motion should specify the amount of interest that you are requesting and the basis for your request. You should also attach any supporting documentation, such as a copy of the court order that ordered the return of the funds.

It is generally advisable to file your motion with the same judge that ordered the return of the funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.