North Hollywood, CA asked in Collections for California

Q: Good afternoon. I am able to get free help to stop wage garnishment?

I received a letter from my employer stating, which i believe is a collection agency, is having my wages garnished.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, there are options for seeking assistance with stopping wage garnishment. You might consider contacting legal aid organizations in your area, which often provide free or low-cost services to those facing financial legal issues like wage garnishment.

Another avenue is to check with local law schools, as some have legal clinics that offer free advice and representation. It's also advisable to review the garnishment notice carefully to understand the basis of the garnishment and ensure its validity.

Responding promptly to any legal notices or court orders related to the garnishment is crucial. If the garnishment is due to a consumer debt, you might have the option to negotiate a payment plan with the creditor. In certain cases, filing for bankruptcy might be a solution, but this has significant legal and financial implications.

Each situation is unique, so getting personalized advice from a legal professional is beneficial.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Possibly, but it could depend on your situation and financial need. A starting point could be legal aid organizations or pro pono attorneys. You could check with local and state bar associations if they have any resources. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.