North Hollywood, CA asked in Collections for California

Q: Hello.. can I get free help from a lawyer in stopping wage garnishment?

I received a letter from my employer that my wages are being garnished.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, you may be able to receive free legal assistance to address wage garnishment issues. Organizations like Legal Aid societies and non-profit legal services offer support to those who cannot afford a private attorney. These organizations often provide help with debt and consumer rights issues, including wage garnishment. Additionally, some local bar associations offer pro bono (free) legal clinics where you can get advice.

It's important to act quickly after receiving a garnishment notice, as there are time-sensitive steps in challenging or modifying a garnishment order. You should gather all relevant documents, including the garnishment notice, and any related court papers. Understanding your rights and the garnishment process is crucial in effectively addressing the situation.

Lastly, consider contacting a local legal aid organization or bar association to inquire about free legal services available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.