Lakeland, FL asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Education Law for Florida

Q: How should a parent approach a daycare for neglect?

The daycare is federally funded should the parent call the police and report it and pull out the child is that a criminal offense? Does the Director and her 2nd in command get in trouble or fired or brought up on charges.. they both are responsible for feeding the child via feeding tube connected to a machine twice a day . the parent checked the history of the machine which registers the total ounces of feed within the last 72 hour and they have not feed the child in the last 36 hours but when the parent ask them they said that she has been feed twice a day .should we call the police and meet them there . Can the parent press charges for neglect the proof is in the history of the feeding machine.. the parent wants them held responsible and also what’s to make a statement that not feeding a child is neglect and has consequences.. please let me know how to go about it she don’t want them to get a way with it because they will do it to the next.child with out a doubt is if they get way

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH

A: Start with a complaint to the police / Sherriff with jurisdiction over the daycare center. You should also make a complaint to the state agency that licences the center the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF).,which%20do%20not%20require%20licensure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.