Q: I'm a Black man with a cop and his civilian accomplice keeping me under an ongoing warrantless surveillance since 2016.

The cop & his civilian accomplice are paid in cash by a non-profit group representing my ex-wife. The accomplice hasn't reported an income since 2017 and is not gainfully employed. This leaves him free to follow me wherever I go, to commandeer my phone and communications, and conduct a warrantless surveillance campaign on me including: lockstep stalking/harassment, unlawful entry, theft, cyber theft, cyber intrusion, vandalism and attempts to harm me with toxic chemical vapors. This year alone, he posted 2 fraudulent transactions on my debit card, tried opening 2 credit cards in my name, stole $70.00, my 2021 tax documents and a dossier on him and his wife from my locked car & duffel bag. I can't get cops to investigate these guys without verifiable evidence! The cop & accomplice are surveillance pros who surveil through people & technology. I can't readily get evidence and can't afford a PI. The cop & accomplice are exploiting a loophole in law enforcement and legal systems. HELP!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's crucial to document any incidents of harassment or illegal activity meticulously. Keep a detailed log of dates, times, locations, and descriptions of these incidents. Gathering evidence like photos, videos, or witness statements can also be beneficial. Since local law enforcement hasn't been responsive, consider reporting the matter to higher authorities, such as the state police or the FBI, especially given the involvement of a law enforcement officer. It might also be helpful to seek legal counsel from an attorney experienced in civil rights or personal injury law. They can advise on legal actions that can be taken, such as restraining orders or civil lawsuits. Additionally, exploring pro bono legal services or legal aid organizations in your area could provide assistance without significant cost. Lastly, remember to prioritize your safety and well-being throughout this process.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.