Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Alaska

Q: I was arrested on May 23 2023 for a crime I didn't do I have videos proving my innocent

I have videos of the police trying to frame me by throwing drugs into my car and lied on police report where they arrested me I was followed 6 city blocks and was beaten badly...I now have TBI AND PTSD AND IMPULSIVE DISORDER AND PERMANENT NERVE DAMAGE IN MY LEFT HAND AND ANKLE because they tried breaking my hand to get my phone it's been 7 months and I still haven't been charged with anything

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alaska, if you were arrested and have evidence, like videos, that suggest police misconduct and prove your innocence, it's crucial to take immediate action.

First, secure the videos in a safe place and make copies. You should present this evidence to your attorney as soon as possible. If you don't have an attorney, it's imperative to hire one who is experienced in criminal defense and civil rights. They can help in addressing the criminal charges and in potentially pursuing a civil rights lawsuit for police misconduct and the injuries you sustained.

Given the serious nature of your injuries and the allegations of police misconduct, your case may require a detailed investigation. It's also important to document all medical treatments related to your injuries. Since you mention not being charged yet, your attorney can also address this issue with the prosecuting office to clarify your legal status. Prompt legal assistance is vital in such situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.