Dallas, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana

Q: Can city police officers and detectives go outside of city limits to conduct a search and arrest without any parish cops

A crime was committed inside city limits by someone who lives outside of city limits. Can the city police go out of city limits and conduct a search and seizer and arrest without a parish sheriff's officer present . Now the person being accused lives 10 miles from the city limits. Different city. Different zip codes

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Louisiana, city police officers typically have jurisdiction within their own city limits. However, they can conduct investigations and make arrests outside of their city under certain circumstances. For a crime committed within their city, if the suspect resides outside the city limits, city police can pursue the investigation into another jurisdiction. They may do so either independently or in collaboration with the law enforcement agency of that jurisdiction. The latter is often preferred to ensure proper legal procedure and local cooperation.

It's essential for city police to follow proper legal channels, such as obtaining the necessary warrants and coordinating with the local sheriff's department or police force, to conduct a search or make an arrest. The specific policies and inter-agency agreements can also influence how such situations are handled. If there's a question about the legality of the police action, it can be addressed through legal channels or by consulting a lawyer.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: These type forums provide general advice to questions/posts. Your post suggests something more specific and perhaps in current time----as such, I suggest that a consultation or 2 with a criminal defense lawyer(s) in your area would be in your best interests to identfy the best way to proceed at this time. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.