Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Louisiana Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Health Care Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Who insures the Parish Coroner for Malpractice or breach of duty to investigate a mandatory autopsy death?
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Jan 27, 2023

I am not certain there is a requirement for insurance, however if the coroner does obtain insurance, either the office of the coroner or the parish in which the coroner is located would most likely obtain the insurance as there is no requirement that each coroner be insured by the same insurance... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: if i go to a beach in an open area and release a chinese floating lanterns, would that be il?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 30, 2022

A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Nationwide, such activity could trigger regulations in terms of fire & safety codes and environmental codes for unlawful discharges on waterways. Check with a local attorney firsthand to avoid problems. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law, Personal Injury and Traffic Tickets for Louisiana on
Q: What do u do about a concrete subdivision sign that is blocking the view of oncoming traffic?

My daughter got in a wreck and said she doesn't remember seeing headlights coming. Because of this concrete sign. Everyone complains about it. She got a ticket but the sign is obstructing her view.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Sep 9, 2022

More information is needed before one can render an assessment of whether or not the concrete subdivision sign was improperly placed and whether or not it was a legal cause of the collision. If you posted this because of a traffic ticket issued to your daughter, then you might want to take photos... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: My husband was charged with kidnapping me and possession of fire arm by a felon the charges where dismissed can they

Still violate his parole if he has already beat the charges

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on May 16, 2022

Can't violate him if charge dismissed.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: I’m an appointed fire chief governed by the police jury, can I run for mayor of a town and hold both jobs?

The town has no governing authority over my department and provides no financial support. I was appointed by a board that was appointed by the police jury. Can I hold both positions?

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
answered on Apr 16, 2022

On something this important and in the public eye, you really should speak to a lawyer and discuss the specifics of this with said lawyer. Furthermore, you may want to seek an opinion/ruling from the ethics board on this -----you can draft a letter to the ethic board or I recommend hiring of an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: If you drive a car because someone is too drunk to drive and the police stop you. Is everything in the car yours.

The police stopped my son and the car was the passengers car. The guy in the back set they let go but they found a pill and lean in the car which belonged to the passengers uncle. A gun was found and the police put the drugs and drink charges on the driver

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Apr 2, 2022

Get your son a lawyer. He has a good defense

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: So. I got pulled over in turkery creek for turn signal, a year later got a warrent ticket was paid I got proof

Only thing on ticket was turn signal but searched my car anyway took my Bookbag with maybe a gram of weed but nothing was said. About it in the ticket not heard anything about it again paid ticket now a year later I find out I have a warrent for the weed is this legal? It doesn’t seem right I... View More

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Jun 8, 2021

Yes this is legal. Weed had to be sent to Baton Rouge for testing. Hire a criminal lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: What Are The Legal Definitions Of Self Defense And Of Lex Talonis?


E. Alexander Laird
E. Alexander Laird
answered on Aug 23, 2020

In Louisiana, a person has a a right to use force to prevent imminent injury. But the force must be reasonable and apparently necessary. You do not have a duty to retreat.

You must also not be the initial aggressor in the confrontation.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law, Criminal Law, Legal Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Louisiana on
Q: Can A Municipality Issue A Warrant And Arrest You For Not Appearing At A Court Date That You Were Never Summoned To?

Water Bill Utility Autopayment Overdraft That Somone Else Set Up - Charged With [Issuing Bad Checks]

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Aug 20, 2020

You need to hire an attorney to get the warrant recalled.

2 Answers | Asked in Municipal Law and Criminal Law for Louisiana on
Q: a municipal law deputy,says I am breaking law bc I am harassing my exgf,but he never saw her texts is this legal?

My ex asked me what else I needed to know to move forward and when I answered she said I was harassing her and would file. Municipalities police (not in my jurisdiction calls and says he is unbiased and never even saw the messages but that I need to cease or face penalty of law. I then asks his... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Oct 23, 2019

How do you know it is a real call? Did you ever call him back?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Environmental, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Do I have any recourse or a case?

During heavy rains, the small storm drain in front of my house gets overwhelmed and water backs up indoors. The city cleaned ditches for me once; the next time I contacted them they ignored me. This is not a flood zone at all. This is a miserable situation. Is the city responsible? If not, who? I... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 21, 2019

One option you could try is to contact a member of your local government for your district, maybe a city council member or someone along those lines. If the situation you describe is something that other residents in the vicinity are also experiencing, it's possible that an elected official... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning, Municipal Law and Probate for Louisiana on
Q: Hi, my dad past didn't leave a will or trust but owned property an have bank accounts what lawyer can help me with this?

I'm trying to obtain a pro bono lawyer to help assist me in gathering my dad's property house or houses an land, bank accounts, vehicles ect... An to assure all of his assets has NOT been touch sold access bank accounts or ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES since the death of my dad in 2003 I feel... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 17, 2019

There is no such thing as a "pro bono lawyer." However, many lawyers will volunteer some of their valuable time to help out very poor folks who have very important legal problems and cannot afford to hire a lawyer.

"Gathering your father's property house or houses an...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: Is purse snatching a violent crime?

If said purse is not attached to the victims person such as in a shopping cart?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Nov 18, 2018

The law does not disriminate between being in her hand, on her shoulder, in a cart or on the front see of a car. But your attorney can make that defense.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Louisiana on
Q: I was arrested with a firearms not registered to me... it wasn’t reported stolen till recent but I already have been

Convicted.. and served a sentence for unlawful possession of a weapon.. I didn’t have any knowledge of it being stolen nor did I come back stolen when they ran their initial report.. am I still subject to being convicted for illegal possession?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on May 5, 2018

You said your were alrwady convicted. You need to consult with a criminal attorney to get the details straight

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.