Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: I was never served bc the father of my son gave the wrong address can I get another date or extension ?

He’s filing for visitation rights. I have not denied him to see our son , I’ve tried to get him to come get him & he would tell me no. The only reason why I know there is a progress call is because I reached out to him about our son and that’s when he told me the court date. He told me on a holiday weekend & 4 days before the court. I’m not prepared, it’s such a short notice and i never got served nor got a notice. but I have created a visitation calendar from 2023-2030 with the best interest for our son. And printed out proof of him telling me no when I asked him to come get his son. But I’m not sure if the judge would even want to look at it. He also lives 3 hours away and never talked to me about it , he just left. He has come for the baby once ever since he moved but that was it. He stoped paying child support & doesn’t have a job & is somewhat handicapped, he has a knee injury and walks in crutches.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: A lawyer first needs to see the papers he has filed. Go to the courthouse and get them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.