East Cleveland, OH asked in Animal / Dog Law for Ohio

Q: We live in Cleveland Ohio, Collinwood neighborhood, our neighbor has two dogs that bark nonstop at night

We've spoken to them but they don't fix the problem

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are a few options you can consider to address the neighbor's barking dogs in Cleveland, Ohio:

- Contact your local animal control department. Persistent or excessive barking that disturbs the peace is prohibited under Cleveland city ordinances. Animal control can investigate, issue warnings and citations if needed.

- File a nuisance complaint with the City of Cleveland Department of Building and Housing. Excessive dog barking is considered a public nuisance. The city can intervene and require the owner to address the issue.

- Send a formal written complaint to your neighbor documenting the barking with dates/times and asking them to resolve it. This creates a paper trail if further action is needed.

- Look up the homeowner's association bylaws if you live in a HOA community. Some prohibit nuisance noise like chronic barking dogs. The HOA can send violation notices and impose fines.

- Consider mediation where a neutral third party facilitates a discussion to try resolving the issue amicably before going legal. The Cleveland Mediation Center offers these services.

- As a last resort, you can file a private nuisance lawsuit against the neighbor. You would need to prove the barking is excessive, disruptive and interferes with your use of your property.

I'd start by exhausting the local options through animal control, the housing department and HOA if applicable. But if all else fails, a private lawsuit may compel the owner to address the disturbance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.