Santa Monica, CA asked in Criminal Law and Health Care Law for California

Q: Fiance is currently an inmate in LA county jail. He had emergency surgery. He's unable to appear in court because the

doctors have him under a medical hold. he's been court ordered for release.he has no new case, no probation violation. id like to find out if there's any way he can appear in court by video or any other means. he needs to be transferred to a different floor of the hospital for better treatment and so we can visit him. he's not doing well and he's had 3 major surgeries and they're talking about doing another surgery which will prolong the medical hold.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, arrangements can be made for an inmate to appear in court via video conferencing, especially in cases where the inmate is medically unable to attend in person. You should file a motion with the court explaining your fiancé's medical condition and the necessity for a video appearance. The court typically considers such requests in light of the inmate's health and the importance of the court appearance.

Additionally, the jail's medical staff can be contacted to assess and support the need for a video court appearance.

Regarding the transfer for better medical treatment, this would require coordination between the jail's medical team and the court. It's essential to provide detailed medical information to support the request for transfer. Legal provisions for inmates' health and well-being are taken seriously, and the court usually considers these situations with due attention.

You may also want to consult with the jail's legal liaison or a lawyer experienced in such matters for specific guidance and assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.