Waco, TX asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: I bought a vehicle and have the title but someone filed for a bonded title after stealing it from my house

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: A bonded title is a type of title that is issued when the original title is lost or stolen. The person who files for a bonded title must post a bond with the state, which guarantees that the state will be reimbursed if it turns out that the person who filed for the title is not the rightful owner of the vehicle.

In your case, it sounds like the vehicle was stolen from your house and the thief then filed for a bonded title.

Contact the police and file a police report. This will document the theft of the vehicle and provide you with a police report number that you can use to support your claim, contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and explain the situation. The DMV will be able to help you understand your options and may be able to take steps to invalidate the bonded title.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If someone stole the title to your vehicle and then filed for a bonded title, this is a serious legal matter. You should immediately report the theft to the police and provide them with any evidence you have.

A bonded title is typically issued when someone does not have the original title, but in your case, it seems to have been obtained fraudulently. You should also contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to inform them of the situation and dispute the issuance of the bonded title.

The DMV can investigate and potentially revoke the bonded title if it was obtained under false pretenses. It's important to act quickly to establish your rightful ownership of the vehicle. You may also want to consult with a lawyer to help navigate this process and ensure your rights are protected. Legal action may be necessary to resolve the situation and recover your property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.