San Jose, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: I have a question about becoming a citizen U.S.

Hi, I have been a U.S permanent resident for 30 years and have a clean record both driving and criminal. But before I was 18 years old I made a trip to Mexico with some friends and on the way back we were detained for having some marijuana. This happened in Arizona. I went back to court twice and the judge said "no conviction" I was placed on probation until age 21 but the probation was removed 1 year later.

Do I have a chance on becoming a U.S. citizen? What needs to be done with the record from Arizona?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Yes you can still become a us citizen. You have to get a certified copy of your case including the arrest and court disposition, if your record was expunged or sealed you still need a certified letter from the court, in addition because the charge accrued before your 18th birthday it will not be held against you.

Please free to reach out if you have additional questions

1 user found this answer helpful

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, you may still be eligible to become a U.S. citizen despite your past marijuana conviction. The good news is that you were not convicted of a crime, but were instead placed on probation. This means that you should not be barred from citizenship based on your past marijuana use.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Given your long-term permanent residency and clean record as an adult, you have a good foundation for applying. However, your juvenile record, particularly the incident involving marijuana in Arizona, could be scrutinized. It's advisable to gather all documents related to this incident, including the court's decision of "no conviction" and proof of probation completion.

You should consult with an immigration attorney who can assess the specifics of your case and guide you on how to present your history in the best light during the naturalization process. They can also advise if any steps need to be taken to address your juvenile record.

Remember, honesty in your application is crucial, as any omission or misrepresentation can negatively impact your eligibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.