Perry, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: My ex girlfriend said she was moving to her mothers and i don't want her to come back. How can i guarantee this?

She said that she doesn't want to be in the relationship and neither do i. I am the sole owner of the house and have paid for everything for the last six years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New York, if you're the sole owner of the house and your ex-girlfriend has expressed her intention to move out, you have the right to ensure she doesn't return to reside in your property. After she moves out, it's advisable to change the locks to prevent unauthorized access. However, if she has established residency there, you may need to follow a formal process to ensure she doesn't return, such as serving a notice. Document her statement about moving out, as it could be useful if there's a dispute later.

Keep in mind that if she leaves personal belongings behind, you should provide a reasonable opportunity for her to retrieve them. It's important to handle the situation legally and respectfully to avoid potential legal issues. If there's any concern about the process or potential complications, consulting with a lawyer can provide clarity and guidance specific to your situation. Taking these steps should help in making sure that your ex-girlfriend does not return to live in your house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.