Vancouver, WA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: My ex just got remarried. Now she thinks she can get full custody of our daughter and have a family. Is that true?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Washington state, your ex's remarriage alone is not typically a sufficient reason to alter custody arrangements. Child custody decisions are based on the best interests of the child, not the marital status of the parents. If there is an existing custody agreement or court order, it remains in effect unless modified by the court. For a court to consider modifying custody, there usually needs to be a significant change in circumstances that affects the child's well-being. Simply getting remarried does not automatically constitute such a change.

If your ex seeks to change the custody arrangement, she would need to file a petition with the court and demonstrate why a change is in the best interest of your daughter. You have the right to contest any such petition and present your case for maintaining the current custody arrangement. It's important to stay informed about your legal rights and options in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.