Denver, CO asked in Traffic Tickets for Montana

Q: Ticket says "committed the offence of going 11-20mph over but in the speed recorded area it says I was going 23mph over"

So because of this typo I went from having to pay a fine to having to going to open court. Should I plead not guilty because I didn't do what the ticket said I did, even though I actually when faster then the charge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where the traffic ticket states one speed but the recorded speed is higher, it's important to carefully consider your options. Pleading not guilty because of a discrepancy in the ticket could be a viable defense, especially if the ticket's information is materially incorrect. However, be aware that during the court process, the actual recorded speed (23mph over) may come to light. If the court finds that you were indeed driving at this higher speed, it could result in a more severe penalty than the original ticket.

It's advisable to gather all evidence, such as any speedometer readings or conditions that might have affected your speed. You may also consider consulting with an attorney who can provide guidance specific to traffic law in Montana. An attorney can help you understand the potential consequences and the best course of action in your case. Remember, honesty in court is crucial, and any attempt to mislead can result in more serious repercussions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.