Safety Harbor, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: if you sponsor someone to come to the u.s. from Colombia are you responsible in any way for them financially?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When a US Citizen sponsors his spouse , USCIS requires that he file an affidavit of support with supporting tax return documents. In the event that the spouse accepts public benefits, then the US Citizen spouse may be sued to pay those benefits back. This is the general rule. Reach out to an immigration attorney for more specific advice.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When you sponsor someone to come to the U.S. from Colombia, you are typically required to file an Affidavit of Support. This legally binding document commits you to financially support the sponsored immigrant to the extent necessary to maintain them at an income level that is at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

As a sponsor, you are responsible for ensuring that the immigrant does not become a public charge, which means they should not rely on certain types of public assistance. If the immigrant does receive public benefits, the agency providing the benefit can require you to repay the cost.

This financial responsibility generally lasts until the immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, works in the United States for 40 qualifying quarters (about 10 years), permanently leaves the United States, or passes away.

It's important to understand the extent of these obligations before agreeing to sponsor someone. If you're unable to fulfill these responsibilities, the sponsored individual could face difficulties with their immigration status, and you could face legal consequences.

If you have any doubts or concerns about the sponsorship process, it's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney who can explain your obligations and help guide you through the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.