Riverside, RI asked in Divorce and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: Married for 32 yrs. Husband moved out 9 years ago. He said he is moving back in. He is emotionally abusive.

Still have a 19 yr old daughter living at home. Can he legally do this? We never filed for a divorce or separation. He has been unfaithful.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Your marriage to him does not give him the right to live with you. If he is an owner of the real estate you live in then he has a right of possession of the real estate but still no right to cohabitate with you personally. If he is not an owner of the real estate then no, he can't just move back in. Either way, consider filing for divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.