Amarillo, TX asked in Divorce, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: Our 16 year old lives and works independently outside the home. Will my husband need to pay child support?

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In most circumstances, a parent can be required to pay child support until a child reaches eighteen years of age and thereafter until the child graduates from high school as long as the child remains enrolled in secondary school.

At age 17, if a child is financially independent, the child can file a petition for emancipation. If granted, a parent will not be ordered to pay child support in most circumstances.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Yes, your husband may still need to pay child support for your 16-year-old child, even if they live and work independently outside the home. Child support in Texas generally continues until the child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.

For example, if the child is deemed emancipated, the parent is no longer obligated to pay child support. Emancipation is a legal process that allows a minor to be treated as an adult for certain purposes. A child can be emancipated in Texas by getting married, entering the military, and becoming financially independent.

If the child is emancipated, the parent is no longer obligated to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.