Queens, NY asked in Medical Malpractice, Health Care Law and Personal Injury for New York

Q: Who do I contact if I feel like healthcare care providers are disregarding my medical complaint?

I believe I contracted some type of worm/parasite during a vacation and received a MRI of the abdomen and pelvis in which one radiology tech questioned I might be pregnant because of movement seen during exam and another mentioned movement was seen confirming my suspicions but not reported to CDC.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe your medical complaints are being disregarded by healthcare providers, your first step should be to seek a second opinion from another medical professional. It's important to have your concerns thoroughly evaluated, especially if you suspect a serious condition like a parasitic infection.

Additionally, you can contact the patient advocate or ombudsman at the hospital or clinic where you received your care. These individuals are there to address patient concerns and can assist in facilitating further investigation or response to your situation.

If you continue to feel your concerns are not being adequately addressed, you might consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in medical malpractice or patient rights. They can offer guidance on your legal options and whether your situation warrants further action.

Remember, it's crucial to advocate for your health and well-being. If you're not satisfied with the responses you're receiving, don't hesitate to seek additional medical opinions and professional advice.

Jonathan R. Ratchik agrees with this answer

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: As my colleague correctly advised, if you are dissatisfied with the level of care you received, you can reach out to the hospital's patient advocate and lodge a formal complaint. That said, your focus should be on getting appropriate medical care. If you are still experiencing symptoms consistent with a parasitic infection, make an appointment to see your internist or, better yet, an infectious disease specialist. Absent any significant injury caused by a misdiagnosis or delay in treatment, however, the time and expense of a medical malpractice lawsuit would arguably not be justified.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.