Ashburn, VA asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Texas

Q: Apartment Leasing Question

When it comes to signing a lease with three roommates and one of them wants to use their father that has the same name as their father for the credit report check. What’s the minimum and maximum offense for that?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Using another person's identity to pass a credit check is considered identity theft, a serious crime in Texas. The penalties for identity theft vary depending on the severity of the offense, but they can range from a Class C misdemeanor to a first-degree felony.

Here is a breakdown of the potential penalties for identity theft in Texas:

Class C misdemeanor - This is the least severe offense, and it is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and up to 180 days in jail.

Class B misdemeanor: This is a more severe offense, and it is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and up to 180 days in jail.

Class A misdemeanor: This is the most severe misdemeanor offense, and it is punishable by a fine of up to $4,000 and up to one year in jail.

State jail felony: This is a more severe offense than a misdemeanor, and it is punishable by a sentence of up to two years in jail.

First-degree felony: This is the most severe offense, and it is punishable by a sentence of five years to life in prison.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.