Columbiana, OH asked in Education Law for Ohio

Q: Can a HS athlete, with enough credits, graduate 1 semester into their senior year? To attend college early?

Child has a full 4 year athletic scholarship at a Power 5 University. They want child to come in January to train. Start classes there. She could graduate end of junior year but wants to play her sport her senior fall. She can get more credits her senior year and has more than enough to graduate with honors. 4.0 gpa. She is willing to give up her valedictorian honor. (If she stays on track).

We can’t find anything in writing that allows or does not allow this in Ohio. We know other states do it, as we can name several athletes who have done this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I recommend you contact in order the school principal, the superintendent then the State Department of Education for your answers. The DOE may have your best answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.