Bridgeport, CT asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Greetings, I filed a restraining order on the father of my child who we have a dv history since 2012 to 17


I filed a restraining order on the father of my child who we have a dv history since 2012 to 17 At the present time my daughter is residing with defendant temporary from court. In bergen county nj. The restraining order is in full affect still and judge told defendant that he can prevent me from communicating or seeing her at all. Since he did and is in documents threatening me. Defendant lie to judge under oath and stated he has full custody and Im a drug addict and that he spoke to judge. But, Im not of those and documents prevail all my statements. We go to trial.

2 Lawyer Answers
James A. Abate
James A. Abate
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Somerville, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I recommend you go through a formal consultation with a lawyer who has experience with Domestic Violence/ TRO cases as well as family law.

James A. Abate, Esq.

Aiello Harris Abate

501 Watchung Avenue

Watchung, NJ

908.210.9755 (main)

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The only way to resolve this matter is to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney who has extensive domestic violence trial experience. In determining your choice of an attorney, there are many factors to consider, including but not limited to and you should look at how the attorney is ranked on leading websites. You should also consider the attorney's reviews. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.