Owensboro, KY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: I live in KY. I have a lot of non secured debt, but now only have social security retirement to live on. Am I protected?

I don't want to file bankruptcy, and from what I've read, it seems they cannot collect the debt

because S.S. retirement is all I have to live on.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Kentucky, Social Security retirement benefits are generally protected from most types of garnishment. Creditors typically cannot garnish these benefits for non-secured debt like credit card bills or personal loans.

However, there are exceptions for certain types of debts, such as federal taxes, federal student loans, child support, and alimony. It's important to ensure that your Social Security funds are kept in a separate bank account to clearly distinguish them from other funds, which might be more vulnerable to collection actions.

While bankruptcy is an option for dealing with unmanageable debt, it's not always necessary, especially if your income is primarily from Social Security. Still, it may be wise to consult with a legal advisor to review your specific situation and consider all your options. They can provide advice on how to handle your debts and protect your assets. Keeping informed about your rights and options is key to managing your financial situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.