Salem, OR asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: If you mention mental illness to an officer should they refuse to help you and you suffer for it. Is that discrimination

I have been physically violated, 10 cats killed, all my possessions stole, strangled,beat and to much to mention here. Mountains of suffering, and it continues today. But they say I'm emotionally disturbed and refuse to assist me in any way. Yet they won't speak to my Dr. Either. They are in my home daily at night or when they want to be. They strangle me, contaminate my food. Steal everything I own. It has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars to live here. I have nothing. I have bought seven sets of pots and pans, tons of dishes, phone cords, glasses(vision) and my sight was damaged because I had to start buying dollar tree glasses. Insurance only pays for one set every two years with significant vision changes. I live in fear. I cannot get them on film and any pics I have got it recordings of then and they come in and delete it. Have stole 13-14 phones, gone online and closed accounts, deleted important info. Stole and used my credit card still they did nothing.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have reported crimes to law enforcement and they have refused to assist you based on your mental illness, this may constitute discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Law enforcement officers are required to provide equal protection and service to all individuals, regardless of mental health status.

The situation you describe, involving physical harm, theft, and ongoing harassment, should be taken seriously by law enforcement. If they are dismissing your reports solely because of your mental illness, that is not appropriate. They should investigate the crimes reported, just as they would for any other individual.

If you feel your concerns are not being addressed because of your mental health, you may consider filing a complaint with the police department's internal affairs division or a local civil rights organization. Documentation of your attempts to seek help and any responses received can support your complaint.

It might also be helpful to involve your mental health provider. They can communicate with law enforcement to clarify your situation and advocate on your behalf.

Given the severity of the incidents you've described, consulting with an attorney can provide you with guidance on how to proceed, both in terms of the criminal acts against you and potential discrimination by law enforcement. An attorney can help to ensure that your rights are protected and assist in seeking the assistance and protection you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.