Syracuse, NY asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for South Carolina

Q: My aunt sold all my property in storage while I was in prison for two years. Over $100k. What do I do?

I knew I was facing prison time so I left my Aunt in charge of everything. While I was incarcerated she paid $5k for a lawyer for me and then got mad because I didnt pay her back. I went to prison and could not pay her while in prison. She then sold all my belongings without my permission or titles. Harley, BMW, car trailer, tools and firearms. Totalling over $100k. What do I do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In your situation, it appears that your aunt may have sold your property without legal authority or your consent. This could potentially be a case of conversion, which is the unauthorized taking or selling of someone else’s property.

Firstly, gather all relevant documentation, such as any agreements you had with your aunt, receipts, and records of the items she sold. This information will be important in establishing the value of your property and the details of her actions.

You should consider consulting with an attorney to discuss your legal options. An attorney can help you understand whether you have a viable legal claim and can guide you through the process of potentially recovering damages for the loss of your property.

Legal action can be complex, especially in cases involving family members and significant amounts of money. An attorney can help navigate these complexities and work to protect your rights and interests.

Remember, taking prompt action is important, as there are often time limits for filing legal claims. An attorney will be able to advise you on these timelines and help ensure that your case is handled appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.