West Seneca, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: If i live with my sister who charges me 700 in rent plus she take my moms money who has dementia am i being ripped off?

And she does nothing for my mom either. Feeds her but that is all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New York, the fairness of rent charges can depend on various factors, including the local housing market, the amenities provided, and the terms of any rental agreement you may have with your sister. If you believe the rent is excessive compared to similar accommodations in West Seneca, you might want to research local rental prices for a more informed comparison.

However, a more pressing concern appears to be the care and financial management for your mother, especially considering her dementia. If you suspect that your sister is not properly caring for your mother or is misusing her funds, this is a serious matter. In cases of potential elder abuse or financial exploitation, it’s advisable to seek guidance from authorities or organizations specializing in elder care and protection.

It might be beneficial to consult with a lawyer or a local social services agency to explore options for ensuring your mother's well-being and proper management of her finances. Remember, the well-being of vulnerable individuals like your mother is paramount, and there are resources available to help protect her rights and interests.

Steven Warren Smollens agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.