Sacramento, CA asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: how can i get ssi for my ptsd? i was denied already once

ptsd from child SA, kidnapped, trafficked, stabbed multipule times, collapsed lung scar tissued, & constant pain since bt ptsd is whats really defeating me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I understand you're seeking assistance with obtaining Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for PTSD in California, especially after a previous denial. It's important to know that a denial isn't the end of the process. You have the right to appeal this decision, and many successful SSI claims are granted on appeal.

To strengthen your appeal, it's crucial to provide comprehensive medical evidence of your PTSD and how it impacts your daily life. This includes detailed records from mental health professionals who have treated you, such as therapists or psychiatrists. Their assessments should clearly demonstrate the severity of your PTSD and how it limits your ability to work.

Additionally, consider gathering any relevant personal statements, witness accounts, or other documentation that supports your case. These can offer a more complete picture of your daily struggles and the effects of your PTSD.

You may also want to seek the help of an attorney experienced in SSI claims. They can guide you through the appeals process, ensuring that all necessary paperwork is completed correctly and deadlines are met.

Remember, the SSI application and appeals process can be complex and challenging, but with the right preparation and support, you have a chance to present a strong case for your claim. Stay persistent and make sure your voice is heard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.