The Villages, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Florida

Q: If I know I have a strong case to pursue a lawsuit against dcf, how do I proceed? What kind of attorney do I need

Long story short, I lost two sons in an accident and one survived they were in the care of their father who survived as well. CPI became involved when I brought my surviving son home from the hospital. I was the non offending parent but that quickly changed once me and the cpi worker had a disagreement and I became a target. I lost my kids for 10 months and I’ve gone through the unimaginable. I’ve documented so much and I know I have a lawsuit, I just need to know how much it would be to retain an attorney to pursue a lawsuit against dcf and the gal program and what kind of attorney to contact? Florida by the way

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal. The legal grounds available to sue DCF are very limited due to various legal obstacles, such as immunity from certain grounds that are available to sue certain other governmental entities. In some limited circumstances, there are potential grounds to sue individual employees of DCF - but collectibility of a judgment against an employee would be an issue to be examined there. Due to the thorny issues that arise in this context, it may be very difficult to locate an attorney willing to take a look at your matter. If I were you, I'd contact the organization Florida's Children First to see if they can help or know someone who can. Their website is

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.