Brook Park, OH asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: My house is for sale to avoid foreclosure. Next court date is a non-oral hearing. Can I get an extension on the date?

My house is being listed for sale and I also have a private investor who is working on getting funds to pay-off my amount due. If my house is "under contract" or if the investor needs another 1-2 weeks to get the funds, on the date of my non-oral hearing, can I request that the non-oral hearing is changed to an actual hearing? I am trying to avoid a foreclosure judgement on my background/credit report. The attorney for the bank has not responded to my request so I'm trying to be proactive to let the court know my current actions. Can I file a Motion to Change Hearing or some other kind of court document?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, but the better thing to do would be to reach out to the bank to engage in loss mitigation. This would pause the foreclosure while they determined whether you are eligible for any loss mitigation options, including modification of the loan, and will give you time to either sell or refinance.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.