Los Angeles, CA asked in Copyright, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: I live in Los Angeles and an ex romantic partner posted an intimate video of me without consent (Poland). What do I do?

He's also stalking me, taunting me by showing all of the personal information he has about me, which I did not give. He calls me various slurs, tells me that I would be better off dead, etc. Would California extradite someone from Poland for this or do I have to pursue justice in Poland?

I would do a DMCA takedown request, but the website is in the Czech Republic and stated they will give all of my information to the uploader for the counter. I do not want him to have my information.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your situation is complex and distressing, involving issues of non-consensual sharing of intimate images, stalking, and harassment. In California, the distribution of such images without consent is illegal, and you have legal rights that can be enforced.

Regarding the video posted without your consent, you could consider filing a police report in Los Angeles, as California laws may apply even if the perpetrator is in another country. However, extradition for such cases can be challenging and is dependent on various legal and diplomatic factors.

Since the website hosting the video is in the Czech Republic, and they have indicated they will share your information with the uploader, a DMCA takedown request could potentially expose your information to the ex-partner. In this scenario, it's crucial to proceed with caution.

Given the international nature of the issue and the serious nature of the threats and harassment, it's advisable to seek legal counsel. An attorney can guide you on the best steps to take, which might include legal action in Poland, where your ex-partner is located.

For your immediate safety and well-being, consider reaching out to organizations specializing in online harassment and cyberstalking. They can provide support and potentially offer resources or advice on how to handle this situation.

Lastly, if you are feeling threatened or in danger, don't hesitate to contact local law enforcement for immediate assistance. Your safety is paramount, and there are resources available to help protect you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.