Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Iowa

Q: Located in iowa, I was sitting at a caseys with my friend when a man came in and started accusing me of being drunk.

I'm a minor and I was not drinking. He also slandered my friends. When I followed him outside to get his plates he had his girlfriend block the plates and then I recorded him from a safe distance. The following Monday I was called in to the school because he called in saying I had a gun and that I was going to shoot up the school. I neither own or have ever owned a gun. I want to sue him for defamation and false claims

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Iowa attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your question may have gone unnoticed because it was posted in "Small Claims," which doesn't usually handle defamation. There's a section here labelled "Libel & Slander." Some questions go unanswered, but attorneys who deal with defamation matters would have a better chance of seeing your post there. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.